Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Steelers vs. Patriots

Ive been a New England Patriots fan for many, many years.


Worry # 7: Im going to get beat up.


I have never in my life seen such die-hard fans. My first visit to Pittsburgh was in May...well after football season had ended. However, if I didnt know it was May, I would think it was the week of Super Bowl and the Steelers had made it to the event. EVERYwhere I went I was bombarded with black and yellow. Or, as I have recently learned, black and yella. Rarely in Florida do I see someone walking around in a football jersey in May. Granted, we have the Miami Dolphins down here and we arent too proud, but nonetheless, no one wears a jersey. Im not too sure how Pittsburghers missed this one, though. They think it is appropriate anytime, anywhere.


Those street vendors on the strip? Its black and yellow for as far as you can see. Even chain stores that are located in the area have a special section just for Steeler gear. Restaurants? Forget pictures, their walls are decorated in... you guessed it... black and yellow jerseys. And dont forget these:



The Terrible Towel is everywhere. I have seen their fans wave them, but I had no clue what their purpose was. Truth be told, Im not sure I still understand. But I do know that I have seen more than I ever thought I would.

I have told a few people that I am a fan of my Patriots... this sentence makes people of Pittsburgh shudder and basically tell me to change my team or get the hell out. Houston, we have a problem. I am moving to your city, Pittsburghers.

How does one just "change" their team? I have followed the Patriots since I learned the basics of football. We had Drew Bledsoe who was being coached by The Big Tuna. We have had 7 appearances at the superbowl, setting a record for having 3 superbowl wins in 4 years. In the 2000's we also set a record for having the most wins overall in a decade.

I know, I hear you yelling at me right now... "but, but.. the Steelers have 6 superbowl wins." And 6 trumps 3. I gotcha. It doesnt make you better, Pittsburgh, Im sorry. And it doesnt change my love for my team. I may get angry at them, I may yell at my tv when Brady is having an off night. But, deep down, I know he almost always comes back better in the 2nd half. And there is almost always victory.

Im glad to see that Pittsburgh supports their team... it says alot about them. Something you dont see in Florida, that is for sure. But... I just cant switch. I will carry some pepper spray during season as I sit at the sports bar eating vegan wings and drinking a heine... and cheer with each touchdown the Pats get over the Steelers. I'll be safe. Or, at the very least, be thankful for having health insurance. What I wont be is a traitor. 

I am looking forward to hanging this proudly in my new home:
And for safe keeping... I will walk on these:




And, Steelers... remember, its a game and all in good fun. ♥


"Im one of those regular weird people" ~ Janis Joplin

No comments:

Post a Comment