Saturday, April 14, 2012

The BEACH - a matter of opinion.

The beach. Its beautiful. There is something about the smell of the ocean, the sound of the waves crashing, the feel of the sand under your feet. It is pure relaxation.


This leads me to worry # 4: 'The beach' in Pittsburgh something looks like this:




Although you cant tell in the picture, there is a little bit of sand up by the water, but there is just something odd to me about laying a towel down in grass to absorb the sun. Its not what I think of as natural. The water, well... its dark, kinda mucky, and I cant taste the salt as it hits my lips. In fact, when it did hit my lips, it kinda grossed me out a bit.


Further, the sand in the water at the beach is usually hard. When standing in the water in this 'beach,' it feels mushy and really creepy between your toes. And, my beach is ALWAYS open. In Pittsburgh, it is only open from Memorial Day to Labor Day. I mean, I guess it makes sense since you wont be going to the beach while wearing a winter coat and cuddle duds, but...


Im not knocking the beach-goers of Pittsburgh. For a lot of people, I am sure this is what they look forward to each year. I just have always lived by the real beach which is why it would make this look equivalent to a 3rd graders construction of an erupting volcano to someone who lives in Hawaii.

Since I like to think that my glass is half full, rather than half empty, here is my list of pros/cons.

The Pro's of a Pittsburgh beach:


1. I will lay my towel on grass. Therefore, I will not find sand in places on and in my body where sand just shouldnt be.
2. They have decently nice bathrooms at their beach. No more having to pee in the ocean.
3. No sharks.
4. It gets hot up there with no breeze off of the ocean, so any water will probably be a very welcome treat.
5. Again, no sharks.
6. My eyes wont burn from the salt water.
7. They net off pieces of the water to keep unwanted species of water creatures away. So, once again.. no sharks.
8. There are no waves - which means I can no longer 'jump' them - but it also means that the water wont be rough and the idea of rip currents, I suppose, will be non-existent.
9. When I am really missing the ocean, I can always put on my bathing suit and watch this cam.
10. One last time for good measure - NO SHARKS!

 The Con's of a Pittsburgh beach:


1. It is just not my ocean.


The funniest part is when I think about how many times a year that I actually do go to the beach..... Id have to say about 2. Maybe 3. So, in all reality, what am I really worried about? The fact that I may possibly, sorta, kinda, one day miss the beach? Yes. Just because I can.

"Im one of those regular weird people" ~ Janis Joplin


No comments:

Post a Comment