Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Adios, Worries!

Ok, now that I have blasted through all of my worries and have diligently listed the pros & cons of leaving Florida (which made my choice seem fairly evident), it is now time to see what I am so excited about.


Excitement #1: The arts.


I get emails very regularly from Pittsburgh CLO and Pittsburgh Cultural Trust that tell of all of the upcoming events in what is dubbed the "cultural district." From plays, musicals, operas, cabaret... you name it, they have it. Every time I open my email, I smile and immediately get dreamy. Its not like I cant see these types of shows in Florida. Technically, I can. But it is very limited...and lacks the whole experience. Parking and walking the city's streets with tons of other excited patrons, crowding together to get in the door... and there is just something about the theatre in Pittsburgh. It has that smell of history. You know, like an old library. Sorta makes you feel like a kid again! 


The majority of the shows take place in the Benedum Center. When I first went there, walking in the door took my breath away. It was beautiful ... and my nose.. ooh the smell. Here is what it looks like inside:


Beautiful, isnt it?


Aside from shows, Pittsburgh has its own orchestra... the Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra. They have shows and various events, as well as some free shows throughout the year. I absolutely cannot wait to check this out!


Even better?


I hear there are various free performing arts events that happen on the strip. And, a place I have read about... (thanks to Pittsburgh Vegetarian's blog) ... is a place called Leaf and Bean. Apparently this is a coffee shop on the strip that has a singer/songwriter open mic on Saturdays. Now, I surely cannot sing, so that is not why I am so excited. Rather, what could make a Saturday better than getting up and strolling the strip, picking up fresh produce, nifty trinkets, and relaxing with a cup of coffee listening to lyrics from someone's latest song?? I do believe this is how I am going to spend my first Saturday in my new city.

"Im one of those regular weird people" ~ Janis Joplin

No comments:

Post a Comment