Thursday, April 19, 2012

A Bit of Reason

Since I have started this blog, I was asked by a dear friend of mine to blog about the pros & cons of staying in Florida, rather than moving to Pittsburgh. (I believe she thinks I have been gloating too much about my new-found city which results in leaving her.)


I think I will start with the cons, since I'd rather end on a positive note... for her sake.


Cons:
  • Florida is hot. 360 days out of a year we will run the air conditioning.
  • Florida has hurricanes.
  • The cost of living is higher.
  • I could drive with my eyes closed as I know the roads like that back of my hand. Change is good... it keeps the brain active.
  • People are unfriendly which bugs me as I get older and my patience diminishes.
  • Humidity. It makes my hair frizz. Bad.
  • It takes FOREVER to drive out of the state to visit new places by car.
  • There are too many spanish-speaking stations and no rock stations on the radio.
  • Everything bad that happens in the U.S. has a "Florida connection." That should say enough in itself.
  • Florida only has 2 seasons. Summer and Hurricane season.
  • We dont have a Trader Joe's.
  • I hear way too many sirens, gunshots, etc.
  • Lizards.


Pros:
  • Friends, family and familiarity.
  • Florida has more concert tours locally, it seems.
  • Snow shoveling doesnt exist.
  • The ocean.
  • Florida doesnt really require you to watch for deer crossing while driving.
  • Florida has a diverse population, giving the opportunity to meet people of different backgrounds.
  • No need to layer clothing to walk outside only to get in a car with the heat blowing and have to remove the clothing, layer by layer.


Well, that sums it up for now. Im not knocking either place... Im sure they each have good and bad. But, I am moving. Gaining a new experience with new people. Without lizards.



"Im one of those regular weird people" ~ Janis Joplin


No comments:

Post a Comment